Entry Requirements: Turkey Travel Advice 101 (2021 Updated Version)
Foreigners, who are thinking about visiting Turkey, are better off knowing basic knowledge about the visa requirements of the Republic of Turkey as these requirements are applied to some Third World countries. It might be quite challenging to complete the procedure if you are not knowledgeable about it.
Today, I will share the entry requirements for Turkey and give you some travel advice regarding your entry.
- 1 Turkey Entry Requirements
- 2 Who does need a visa to travel to Turkey?
- 3 Turkey Visa Types
- 4 Turkey Visa Requirements for Specific Regions
Turkey Entry Requirements
Like any other country, Turkey has some requirements for those who will apply from abroad. The following are the requirements a foreigner needs to know before their visa application and visit in Turkey:
- Turkey has a system that enables foreigners to start their applications online on www.evisa.gov.tr. The system makes the whole process quite easier and convenient.
- Potential visitors shall be aware that the e-visa is only applicable when the travel of purpose is related to tourism or commerce. Other than those purposes, like study or work, Turkish Embassies or Consulates are in charge of executing the process.
- The special kind of passport called “official passports” comprises diplomatic, service, and official passports.
- Potential visitors are advised to have their travel documents valid for at least six months from the arrival date of the visit.
- To eliminate the chance of possible inconveniences, the visitors are better off applying for the visa at least one month before the arrival date.
- Visitors shall note that the visas do not guarantee the absolute rights of entry to the state.
- The fees of application are not refundable in cases when applications are denied.
- All the visa applicants are compelled to have insurance of health which must be valid throughout the travel period.
- The length of the travel period provided by the visa cannot be longer than 90 days within each half-year(180 days), and the regulation binds all foreigner visitors.
- The standard length of stay is 90 days for all types of visa applications. If the visitors wish to stay longer than the standard period, they shall apply for a “Short Term Residence Permit” at the Provincial Directorate of Migration Administration to extend their stay.
- The stay permit of the visitors would be canceled if visitors stay outside of Turkey for longer than four months (120 days).
- Applicants under the age of 18 shall have a written approval document from both their parents.
- United Nations Travel Document holders with blue UN documents, during their official visits in Turkey, in cases where their official assignments are certified, could have visa exemption with 90 days of length within the 180 days. Regardless of their purpose of visit, United Nations Travel Document holders with red UN documents shall be exempt from visa requirements and could stay in Turkey for 90 days within the preceding 180 days. The general visa regulations bind for the blue UN travel document holders according to their origin countries.
- For foreigners who visit Turkey due to an invitation by a university under the Turkish Higher Education Board to study at undergraduate, graduate, post-graduate, and Ph.D. levels, the authority for processing the residence permit applications belongs to the Local Immigration Offices.
- The local governorates could use a visa-free entry pass for foreign visitors who wish to enter Turkey with naval ports for touristic purposes. At maximum, these permits must have 72 hours of length of stay and are only valid around the naval ports areas where they made their entrance to the Country. As this practice aims to facilitate the entrance of those visitors with visas, it does not provide visitors with a visa. The authorities do not hold travel documents of these foreigners. Yet, foreign visitors are issued with a “Harbor City Entry Permit,” which must be returned during their departure.
- Any information submitted to the border authorities could be processed and stored in a database, and this information is accessible to the Turkish authorities.
Who does need a visa to travel to Turkey?
Requirements of visa are mandatory for third World country citizens who wish to visit Turkey with varied intends. Some countries are exempt from visa obligations due to the bilateral visa agreements. Some countries’ citizens can enjoy an electronic visa application system to facilitate the process.
Following Country’s citizens can enter to the Republic of Turkey with their national ID’S
- The Netherlands
- Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
Following Country’s citizens can enter the Republic of Turkey with their expired passports
- Germany / Passport that is expired within the last five years
- Belgium / Passport that is expired within the last five years
- France / Passport that is expired within the last five years
- Spain / Passport that is expired within the last five years
- Switzerland / Passport that is expired within the last five years
- Luxemburg / Passport that is expired within the last five years
- Portugal / Passport that is expired within the last five years
- Bulgaria / Passport with ordinary validity
Turkey Visa Types
Based on a short-term and long-term basis, several visa types are used to visit Turkey. Depending on the visitor’s period of stay, visas with single, double, or multiple-entry features could be issued. If not stated otherwise, a visa holder cannot stay in the state longer than 90 days in the preceding 180 days.
Type C Visa (Short-Term Visa)
This type of visa is issued for the third World country citizens according to their purpose of visit, which must not exceed 90 days
For foreigners who wish to visit Turkey for tourist and entertainment reasons, a tourist visa is applicable. These visas could be issued as e-visas, or if the applicant originated from an eligible country, visas could be issued upon arrival.
Business and Fair Visits Visa
Citizens of third World countries who seek to visit Turkey for commercial purposes are applicable for a business visa. Business visa-issued individuals could attend conferences, meetings, and other kinds of business activities. Yet, the total period of stay is limited with the dates on the issued business visa
Visa for to Visit Relatives
Citizens of third World countries who intend to see relatives can apply for special visas by submitting related papers that include an invitation letter from one’s relatives.
Visa for Cultural, Sportive activities and Participation to Talks
Those who would like to attend events that are related to culture or sports in Turkey need to apply for an entry permit. In Turkey, an official invitation letter from the organization’s host needed to be submitted for the rest of the process.
Visa for Education and Traineeship
For foreigners who wish to visit Turkey for educational or trainee purposes, including attending language courses, short-term or work visas can be issued. An official invitation letter provided by the employer or the institution that is in Turkey indicating the dates of the program is required for the process.
Type D Visa (Long-term Stay)
A type D visa is issued for those who will stay in the Republic of Turkey for more than 90 days.
Students who seek to study at a Turkish education institution shall apply for a student visa through the Consulate with a letter of admission. Applicants shall apply through diplomatic missions to get a visa or work permit and stay in the state for longer periods. A letter of employment with the other related documents shall be submitted to the Turkish Ministry of Labor and Social Security for approval.
Visitors shall notice that they need to register at the police departments at the time of arrival if they are planning to work or study in the Country for longer terms.
Visitors are advised to contact the nearest diplomatic mission in any case of hesitation.
A transit visa could be applicable for foreign visitors who need to have a stopover at the Country’s airports as a midpoint before the next destination. If travelers do not leave the lounge, Turkish authorities do not seek transit visas.
Turkey Visa Requirements for Specific Regions
The following are the Turkey visa requirements for specific regions.
Visa for European Countries
Citizens of the EU member countries are exempt from the visa obligations in case of having ordinary or official passports for up to 90 days preceding 180 days period.
Visa for Russian Citizens
Up to 60 days at maximum, the citizens of the Russian Federation do not have to have a visa to visit for tourist, business, and transit purposes.
Visa for US citizens
Citizens of the US need a valid passport for at least six months after the arrival date.
US citizens with US passports need to have a visa document to visit Turkey. Ordinary passport owners could apply for e-visas.
Visa for UK citizens
Citizens of the UK need a valid passport for at least six months after the arrival date.
UK citizens with UK passports do not have to have a visa document to visit Turkey.
Visa for Canadian citizens
Canadian citizens with Canadian passports are subjected to a visa regulation to travel to Turkey. Ordinary passport owners could apply for e-visas.
Visa Fees of Turkey
Depending on the type of the visa and the location of the process, the visa fee may change, and these fees are non-refundable.